The Roman director was selected among the 21 Italian candidates for the 2019 Oscars
The 24th February in Los Angelas the 2019 Oscars will take place, this year in its Ninety-ninth edition. The event attracts the attention of many people every year. For Italy the film directed by Matteo Garrone has been selected to participate in the category Best feature film in foreign language along with other 21 films. It was assessed by an appropriate commission established at ANICA on request of the Academy Awards. Italian Traditions will tell you all about the director and the film in question.
The Italian films in competition to be nominated for the 2019 Oscar
The Italian commission Ainca established by the Academy Award met on September 25th, 2018 to decide the name of the Italian film to be nominated for the Oscars 2019. The nominated films are those distributed in Italian cinemas between 1st October 2017 and 30th September 2018. The 21 nominated films are:
I 21 film candidati sono:
- A casa tutti bene di Gabriele Muccino
- Caina di Stefano Amatucci
- Come un gatto in tangenziale di Riccardo Milani
- Dogman di Matteo Garrone
- Dove non ho mai abitato di Paolo Franchi
- L’esodo di Ciro Formisano
- L’età imperfetta di Ulisse Lendaro
- Il figlio sospeso di Egidio Termine
- Lazzaro felice di Alice Rohrwacher
- Manuel di Dario Albertini
- Napoli velata di Ferzan Ozpetek
- Nome di donna di Marco Tullio Giordana
- Quanto basta di Francesco Falaschi
- La ragazza nella nebbia di Donato Carrisi
- Riccardo va all’inferno di Roberta Torre
- Sembra mio figlio di Costanza Quatriglio
- Una storia senza nome di Roberto Andò
- Sulla mia pelle di Alessio Cremonini
- La terra dell’abbastanza di Damiano e Fabio D’Innocenzo
- The place di Paolo Genovese
- Tito e gli alieni di Paola Randi.
Who is Matteo Garrone?
Matteo Garrone is an Italian film director, screenwriter and producer born in Rome on October 15th 1968. Son of the theatrical critic Nico Garrone and the photographer Donatella Rimoldi he was devoted to the world of cinema from a young age. In 1996 he won the Golden Sacher award with the short film Silhouette.
In the following years he directed other feature films. The appreciation of the critics for his work arrived in 2002 with the film L’Imbalsamatore. The film won the David di Donatello Award for Best Screenplay. Success arrived in 2008 with the film “Gomorra”. It is a film adaptation of the homonymous novel. In 2012 he filmed Reality, which led him to win the Grand Prix of Cannes for the second time in his career. Finally, in 2018 came the film Dogman which will be nominated for the next edition of the Oscars 2019.
The film Dogman at the 2019 Oscars
The film directed by Matteo Garrone is inspired by a true news item that took place in Rome in 1988.
This was the murder of the criminal and amateur boxer Giancarlo Ricci which took place at the hands of Pietro De Negri. Garrone’s film differs in part from the events that occurred. The film is set in the outskirts of Rome and the protagonist is Marcello a man of small stature who owns a toileting store for dogs. The project was initially meant to go out in Italian cinemas in 2006. The scenes were filmed in Castel Volturno in the province of Naples.
Italian cinema has distinguished itself in the course of history for the beauty and quality of its films. Some of these have received important international awards. Every year a film produced in Italy is selected to participate in the award of the famous film Oscars of Los Angeles. If you want to deepen the knowledge of the great Italian cinema we recommend reading this article concerning the actress Sofia Loren. Now that you know about Matteo Garrone you just have to see his movies if you still haven’t done so.